Character Development Programme
Social and Emotional Learning
Self Awareness, Social Awareness, Self Management, Relationship Management, and Responsible Decision-Making are the five core social and emotional competencies. Through Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), students acquire skills, knowledge, and dispositions that will not only help them to establish positive relationships but also to recognize and manage emotions, develop care and concern for others, make responsible decisions and handle challenging situations effectively.
Values in Action (VIA)
VIA programmes are important to character building as they build a spirit of volunteerism among our students. The school places a strong emphasis on the inculcation of values through community involvement.
Bishan Home for the Intellectually Disabled and Golden Jasmine are two of our community partners.
Elective Module Programme for NA and NT Classes
Elective Modules (EMs) broaden the learning experiences of our N(A) and N(T) students and provide for their varied learning styles and needs. EMs cover a range of industries and give our students the opportunity to pursue areas of interest beyond the normal secondary school curriculum.
Thank Goodness It’s Friday (TGIF) Programme
The Thank Goodness It’s Friday or TGIF Programme is run for the Lower Secondary Normal Technical students.
· To provide the NT students with learning experiences which are fun and engaging.
· To help the students make connections between classroom lessons and the real world.
· To increase the students’ level of motivation as well as their self-confidence.
· To provide students with a stronger sense of purpose currently and for the future.
· To provide students with platforms that allow them to share with the rest of the school community what they have learned.
· To foster and build stronger bonds between the students and their teachers and amongst themselves.
The programme is conducted on Fridays in Term 1 from Week 2 to Week 9 and in Term 3 from Week 1 to Week 5.
Enrichment programmes conducted during TGIF included workshops on Gelato Making and Circle Painting. Learning journeys were also made to the Singapore Zoo, the Pulau Semakau Landfill and the Singapore Science Centre to make connections between lessons in the classrooms and the world beyond.
The TGIF Programme aims to engage our students in learning through fun and creative ways and to foster a stronger sense of purpose of being in school.
‘I Can Achieve’ Programme
‘I Can Achieve’ Programme Involving our Lower Secondary students, the ‘I Can Achieve’ programme aims to empower students through building up effective studying and learning skills. Through lecture-style sharing by selected student speakers, teacher-facilitated discussions and peer conversations, students will reflect on the following areas:
· Handling Stress
· Building Habits & Routines
· Recognising what type of learner they are.